--- Page 1 --- Memorials of St. Samson still exist in Ireland. In the former parish of Ballygriffin, a church had been placed under the patronage of this Cambrian saint. The church may have been on the site of one still more ancient, and it was built near the manorial castle of Ballygriffin58—so called probably from some Welsh settler and founder.59 The church or district of St. Samson's W. K. WAKEMAN St. Doulough's Church, County of Dublin. been engraved on the maps, we are led irresistibly to such a conclusion. See Rev. Dr. Reeves' "Memoir of the Church of St. Duilech, in the Diocese of Dublin," pp. 5, 6. For further particulars, regarding this church and parish of Ballygriffin, the reader is referred to that valuable Memoir. 60 There is a beautiful lithograph drawing of this church, by J. D. Harding, from a sketch by Robert O'Callaghan Newenham, Esq., as published in "The Picturesque Scenery and Remarkable Antiquities of Ireland." This work has been dedicated to His Excellency Richard Marquis Wellesley, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. 61 This is a townland, within the parish of Ballygriffin, barony of Coolock, and marked on the "Ordnance Survey Townland Maps church has been absorbed in that of St. Doulough60—a church of mediæval construction61—situated a few miles northwards from the city of Dublin. The old church of Balgriffin62—the present name—lay between the very curious ancient structure of St. Duilech63 and Stapolin, in the county of Dublin. At the left hand side, entering the avenue to Balgriffin Park, some traces of St. Samson's ruined church64 may yet be seen. It consisted of a nave and chancel; together taken, about eighteen yards in length. The churchyard is under meadow; still a shadowy outline of its precincts is faintly discernible. Yet, both these objects seem to have escaped the notice of our Ordnance Survey staff. Not having for the County of Dublin," sheet 15. 62 The walls were razed, and the whole site levelled, when the present Belgriffin House was erected, nearly a century and a-half ago, by the Doynes of Wells, in the county of Wexford. 63 The accompanying illustration of St. Doulough's church was drawn on the spot, by William F. Wakeman, and by him transferred to the wood, engraved by Mrs. Millard. 64 See "Ordnance Survey Townland Maps for the County of Dublin," sheet 15. This small parish contains only 1,052a. 2r. 2p. --- Page 2 --- MUNSTER MUNSTER CONNAUGHT --- Page 3 --- AUGUST 31, 1896. Extraordinary Find in the Old Abbey of Duleek. A few days ago a man named Matthew Donnelly, who lives in Duleek, and occupies a garden on the site of the old Abbey of Duleek, made an extraordinary discovery. While digging in his garden he uncovered a large flagstone, over which a deposit of earth about three feet in depth had accumulated. With the assistance of three men the large flagstone was raised by crowbars and planks, when a cavity was revealed of about ten feet in depth and four feet in width in which lay the skeleton of a man and of a horse. The human skeleton appeared to be over six feet in length. No weapons, armour, or clothing of any kind were found. The sides of the cavity were built of masonry. A great many people have been to visit the place since the discovery. --- Page 4 --- Kilgobbin Old Church, County Dublin. --- Page 5 --- Whitechurch, County Dublin. The upper lands of Cruagh ascend the Dublin mountain slopes, whence glorious views of the metropolis of Ireland, and its incomparable surroundings may be obtained. In the townland and parish of Whitechurch, in the barony of Rathdown, which lie immediately to the north of Tibradden, there is a very old burial-ground,7 in every way corresponding with the idea of an ancient Dun, as does Cruagh or Creevy graveyard, likewise,—but making all due allowance for the rather modern innovation of enclosing old cemeteries with stone walls. It does not appear, that although Daluanus of Creevy had been placed over Drumisken, that the place, from which he was called, held any proximate position to it. Of over one hundred townland denominations, called Creeve or Creevy,8 in its various combinations, we do not find any one marked on the Ordnance Survey Maps for the County of Louth. Tibradden is also written Tibroden, alias, Kill- nasantan Beg.9 Whitechurch was anciently called the Church of Balgeeth, and sometimes it is found Latinized, "Ecclesia Alba." Occasionally it was styled "the Church of the Marches" during the middle ages.10 Its situation is a very delightful one, and the verdure of the shady trees surrounding it gives it an imposing appearance. Three gable walls are yet standing, and thickly mantled over with ivy. The central gable wall divided the nave from the choir. The nave is about thirty feet in length, by fifteen in breadth. The choir is twenty-one feet in length, by fifteen in width. The side walls, in a great measure, have disappeared. A choir-arch is to be seen in the central gable wall, with additional loop-hole windows, one on either side of the choir-arch. The old graveyard is crowded with graves, and it is greatly elevated over the ground and the roads which bound it.11 Dank and matted grass and nettles covered the graves, at a season when visited by the writer. It has been a long time since the prayers of worshippers were heard under the roof of the present mediæval church, which has yet a melancholy interest attaching to its "voiceless aisles." --- Page 6 --- WE WAKE MAN Clondalkin Round Tower. County of Dublin. The village of Clondalkin is situated in an open flat country within five miles of Dublin, at a short distance off the direct road to Naas. It is a smiling assemblage of cleanly cottages, interspersed with the venerable remains of other days, all overshadowed by verdant groves, and watered by a pure murmuring rivulet. The first object which attracts notice on entering the town is the beautiful Roman Catholic church of Gothic design. The Protestant church is an unpretending edifice, built near the ruins of its predecessor; within it is a white marble slab to the memory of Sir Simon Bradstreet, while in the surrounding cemetery are monuments to the families of Rounke, Wright, Caldbeck, Mills, and Reade, and to the Rev. Messrs. Coleman, Mullen, and Grant. There are also to be seen within this consecrated space an old baptismal font, and an unpolished granite stone about nine feet high, being the shaft of an ancient cross. West of the churchyard, and now separated from it by the high-road, is a round tower 84 feet in height, and quite perfect, the door is about 15 feet from the ground, and this, the basement portion of the edifice, is cased with solid masonry. The circumference of this fine specimen of ancient Irish architecture is 45 feet at the base, and the wall there is three feet thick. The visitor who wishes to explore it can gratify his curiosity by ascending through the interior on a series of ladders to its summit, stages being constructed at intervals to facilitate this object. The little dome has four small oblong apertures, now windows, being fitted up as an observatory, and is terminated by a conical covering. At different intervals of the ascent are two smaller apertures. This structure is remarkable for con- tinuing of the same internal diameter to about two-thirds of its height, whence it narrows suddenly; the door is square-headed, being finished by a lintel of one long stone. The foundation of the first religious house here is attributed to St. Cronan Mochua, whose feast, as its first abbot, is celebrated on the 6th of August. During the meloncholy era of Danish tyranny in Ireland, when Dublin and the rich district of Fingal were swept by these active plunderers, Clondalkin did not escape their visitation. Its monastery was utterly wasted. Many subsequent notices, however, occur of its abbots or bishops (as they were indifferently called) in the chronicles of the monks down to the year 1152, when this rural see was by act of Cardinal Paparo's council merged with others in Dublin. A document of about 1547 enumerates Clondalkin amongst "the walled and good towns" of the county. --- Page 7 --- Glendalough. N the wild and stern grandeur of its scenery, and the historic memories associated with the majestic pile of picturesque ruins that moulder in its sombre vale, Glendalough is possessed of attractions that can never fail to charm the tourist and interest the antiquarian. Secluded in the bosom of gloomy and precipitous mountains, the deep glen of the Seven Churches presents one of the most impressive views in the magnificent panorama of the romantic scenery of Wicklow. In this historic vale, lake and wood and waterfall, cliff and gorge and streamlet, grave and ruin, combine to form a region unsurpassed in weird loneliness and sublimity. Into the depths of this wild solitude, in the sixth century, withdrew the illustrious St. Kevin, who, filled with the spirit of that heroic asceticism that characterized the saints of the early Irish Church, forsaking the honours of rank, and fleeing the allurements of pleasure, devoted, from the days of his youth, his entire existence to the silent martyrdom of the cell and the cloister, and the rude discipline and austerities of the monastic life. Hither, attracted by the same of his, wonderful sanctity, multitudes flocked from towns and cities, eager to walk in his footsteps, and live under his spiritual guidance. And soon around the lonely cell of St. Kevin a celebrated monastery arose, over which he presided as abbot for a great number of years, dying at an advanced age, A.D. 622.* In the following centuries, during that brilliant period in Ireland's history when the beacon lights of religion and science, kindled in the distant sanctuaries of the Insula Sanctorum, guided to her shores the noblest youth of Gaul and Britain, and the sunny lands of southern Europe, in pursuit of the treasures of wisdom, the Abbey of Glendalough became renowned for the number of saints and distinguished men of learning who flourished in its cloisters and its schools ranked among the most celebrated in the West. But alas! the day of calamity at length arrived. The mitre of St. Kevin had descended through a long line of abbots to the illustrious St. Laurence O'Toole, under whose paternal sway Glendalough flourished once more in all its pristine glory; but the saintly prelate had scarce been elevated from its cloisters to the Archiepiscopal dignity, when the sacrilegious presence of the infamous MacMurrough descerated this ancient sanctuary. The city of Glendalough was sacked by his myrmidons, and the spoils distributed to satiate the cravings of the miscreant adventurers who, under the favour of his dark treason, secured for the Norman a footing on the virgin soil of Erin. A few years subsequently, and the venerable abbey, "with the churches, lands, and dignities thereunto belonging," were handed over to the favourites of Strongbow. At the disastrous period of the Reformation, when the infamous laws of Henry VIII. and Elizabeth commenced to be enforced in the Pale, this venerable foundation early suffered the fate that befell the other ecclesiastical establishments in Ireland. The cloisters were rendered desolate, and the consecrated pile, that had stood the storms of centuries, was abandoned to decay. No more the grand and solemn chant of the midnight anthem, borne over the tranquil waters of the lake, awoke the mountain echoes in the depth of its romantic glen. The glories of Glendalough had passed away, but though the sacred fire was extinguished in its ancient sanctuary, the faith that had been enshrined there in happier days remained fondly treasured in the bosom of the Gael. In the deep recesses of these mountain wilds, where the venerable "pillar tower" yet stands over the graves of their forefathers, did the fugitive bands of the outlawed Celt assemble to kneel at the rites of their ancient worship. Thus, through centuries of trial and of martyrdom, was the grand old faith preserved throughout the land. Thus did the children of the Gael, alone on the wave-beaten frontiers of the eastern world, maintain that heroic struggle in defence of Catholicity which has been crowned with a victory unparalleled in the annals of nations—a glorious and immortal triumph, the blessings of which will be reaped by generations yet unborn in every clime where the exiled Celt has found a home. * In the article "St. Molibha," in the Lives of the Irish Saints, by the Rev. John O'Hanlon, there occurs the following passage:—"After the death of his uncle, St. Kevin, which took place in the year 618 or 622, according to Ussher, our saint (St. Molibha) is believed to have succeeded him in the saint of Glendalough. Such is the statement of Colgan; but Dr. Lanigan seems inclined to think that Molibha was the first bishop over this see, St. Kevin having only been abbot." --- Page 8 --- THE SCALP. the Scalp, which lies close to Enniskerry, and is a deep defile, in the bosom of a granite rock. The sides are acclivitous, but not inaccessible, and are covered with prodigious disjointed stones, shouldering each other in tumultuous confusion, threatening to overwhelm the passenger at each footstep. When looking back, to view this chasm in dreary perspective, one almost believes the base of the mountain to have, at some remote period, given way throughout the extent of the ravine just passed, and the incumbent mass fallen into the hollow, thus leaving a frightful void, not to be accounted for — --- Page 9 --- HUGH O'NEILL IN THE WILDS OF GLENCONKEINE. Early in the winter the sad intelligence reached O'Neill in his mountain fastnesses that the chivalrous Prince of Tyrconnell was no more. He had been received with every mark of distinction at the Spanish Court, where he pleaded with all the fervour of his patriot soul the cause of Ireland, imploring immediate succour against the armies of Elizabeth. The aid was promised, but subsequently countermanded. The disappointment broke the gallant heart of the Irish chief, and he died at Simancas, in September, 1602. The last ray of hope had departed; there was no longer chance of Spanish succour; the Irish chiefs had disbanded their forces, O'Ruark, MacGuire and Tyrrell alone remained in arms. In that dark hour, amid the wreck of all his glorious patriot hopes, O'Neill, still fearless and resolute, defended to the last the fortunes of his country. Even yet his name inspired terror to the foe, and with the remnant of the devoted clansmen of Tyr-owen, he retreated slowly to the deep woods of Glenconkeine, where during that whole winter he kept at bay the armies of Elizabeth's viceroy. --- Page 10 --- KILCREA ABBEY. --- Page 11 --- O Blarney Castle, my darling ! You're nothing at all but a stone, And a small little twist of ould ivy ! Och wisha, ullaloo, ullagone !'— Lament for Blarney Castle. BLARNEY was of some importance in the early ages, as a place of Druidical worship and a seat of the great MacCarthy family, indifferently styled kings of Desmond and Cork. The neighbourhood of Blarney is rich in early remaining raths, generally circular; and many of them square, with subterranean galleries. Pillar stones, or dallans, are also numerous. In the 'Annals of the Four Masters,' at the date A.M. 3501, mention is made of Carrac Blarne, or rock of Blarney. The ancestor of the MacCarthys was Eogan More, son of Olioll Ollum, a celebrated king of Munster in the 2nd century; and before the Norman Invasion several members of this family ruled over Munster as Provincial Kings. The power of the MacCarthys was subsequently overshadowed by that of the FitzGeralds, or Geraldines; their descendants, however, held Blarney and a large portion of county Cork up to the reign of William III. In 1495 the then chief was summoned to Parliament as Lord of Muskery, in 1578 as Baron of Blarney, and in 1660 Donogh MacCarthy was created Earl of Clancarty. Donogh, the third Earl, for- feited the estates for his adherence to James II.* The present castle was erected about the middle of the 15th century, by Cormac McCarthy Laider, the fourth lord of Muskery, and was reckoned one of the strongest fortresses in Munster. Its principal feature is a massive donjon tower, about 120 feet in height, with a machicolated battlement. It was besieged and taken in 1628 by the united forces of Cromwell, Ireton, and Fairfax. They fired off their bullets like thunder, That whizzed through the air like a snake; And they made the old castle (no wonder !) With all its foundations to shake. While the Irish had nothing to shoot off But their bows and their arras, the sowls ! Waypons fit for the wars of old Plutarch, And perhaps mighty good for wild fowls. * Donogh, third Earl of Clancarty, was educated at Oxford. He married Elizabeth, daughter of the Earl of Sunderland, and by this alliance, and his own profession of the Protestant faith, seemingly identified himself with the English interest in Ireland. During the war of the Succession he abjured his Protestantism, and became a devoted adherent of James II, for which he was exiled, with the forfeiture of his estates. His property, upon a loose calculation made in the middle of the last century, was supposed to be worth £150,000 per annum. He retired to an island on the Elbe, near Hamburgh, where he died in 1734, aged sixty-four. --- Page 12 --- SITE OF THE ANCIENT ABBEY OF LUSK. The above Church is erected on the site and partly with the materials of the Ancient Abbey, which was founded by St. Macculun in the 5th Century. A Grand Synod was held here by St. Adamnanus, at which all the principal Prelates of the Kingdom were present. It was plundered and destroyed in the year 825, and in 854 it was consumed by fire. A similar calamity befel it in 1069; and in 1135, the Town and Abbey were burned and destroyed, and the whole country of Fingal wasted by Donel MacMurrough O'Melaghlin, in revenge for the murder of his brother, Conor, Prince of Meath. It underwent many vicissitudes in the Middle Ages, and, passing from the Ancient Faith, the Matins of the Monks were heard within its walls no more. The R. C. Parish Church, to the left, may be considered the successor to the traditions of faith and piety which were associated with the Old Abbey of Lusk. --- Page 13 --- LADY WILDE. SKETCH OF THE MARTIAL POETESS OF '48. If the most revolutionary spirit of the '48 movement was James Finton Lalor, calling to his country in words that glow like metal prophet taken from the struck, from the Irish harp sounds that were charged with battle clamours, and who shall ever be known to Ireland under the name "Speranza." The man of that movement have received the greater fame, but amongst them all there was not a truer, braver, more resolute heart than that which beat within the breast of this girl, nor one whose word was more potent; and potent it still is, after the lapse of half a century. It could hardly have been said of her that she was "kindly Irish of the Irish, neither Saxon nor Italian"; for her ancestors, only a few "SPERANZA." generations before, had come here from Italy, and none of them had blended with the the people, and they were aliens to them in religion. She grew up, knowing absolutely nothing of the movement that had been stirring the hearts of the Irish people almost to the verge of revolution. She was one of the curious spectators that watched from the windows of her father's house the great procession sweep by Jerome. Until remains of Davis to Mount Charles. Until then it is said that she had never even heard the name of him who had striven—and not vainly—to give utterance in song to the national yearning and the national resolve. But the long time delayed, reached her heart, and it was answered by words that thrilled the heart of Ireland like a trumpet-call. "His words," she wrote in flash through the length and breadth of the land, awakening mind, heart, and brain from the dall apathy of centuries of oppression. With the tempest in his soul and the lightning on his lips, he poured out for the people he divine wine of the intellect that lifts humanity from the animal to the God." Of this divine wine she drank deeply, and under its inspiration she poured out some glorious songs which claims for her a place amongst our battle bards—a place amongst mondads who are irresistible song to the struggle for freedom. She has spoken of the literature of 1848—"the glowing incarnation of the country to a fitting place among the nations." This is an accurate description of her own muse. In listening to the strains of her impassioned address to Ireland we seem to hear the chords of her harp vibrating under her hand. It can be read again and again with delight that kindless into enthusiasm. My country, wounded to the heart, Could I but flash along the soul Electric power to rive apart The thunder clouds that round these roll; And by my barning words uplift, Thy life from out Death's icy drift, Till the full splendours of our age Shone round thee for thy heritage. As Miriam's by the Red Sea strand Clashing proud cymbals, so my hand Would strike thy harp, Loved Ireland! She flung her triumphs to the stars In glorious chants for freedom won, While over Pharaoh's gilded cars The fierce death-bearing waves rolled on; I can but look in God's great face, And pray Him for our fated race, To come in Sinai thunders down And, with his mystic rediance crown Some prophet leader with Egypt's band, To break the strength of Egypt's band, And set thee free, Loved Ireland! New energies, from higher source, Must make the strong life currents flow, As Alpine deeper torrents the neath, The woman's voice dies in the strife Of Liberty's awakening life; We wit the hero heart to lead, The hero who can guide at need; And strike with bolder, stronger hand, Though towering hosts his path withstand Thy golden harp, Loved Ireland! For I can breathe no trumpet call To make the slumb'ring soul arise; I only lift the funeral pall, And ring the silver prayer-bell clear, To rouse thee from thy trance of fear; Yet if thy mighty heart has stirred, Even not in vain my woman's hand Has struck the gold harp while I stand Waiting thy rise, Loved Ireland! She wrote, more ambitious and finer poems than this, but this, which appears to be the dedication of her soul and of her muse to Ireland, appeals to us more strongly at this moment, her eyes having just been closed in death. "The whole life of the nation," she said, writing of the '48 period, "moved to music," but it stepped to no bolder or truer strain than that which sounded from her harp. It was not in song only that she issued her call to freedom. Some of the most powerful prose contributions to the "Nation," were from her pen, notably which most people are estimated, or at least of which most people have heard. During the long years of her absence from Ireland she has not forgotten her heart to the love which went out from her near to the people, from the first moment she became their champion, ever diminished. She has confessed again and again the fascination of the Celtic character and lauded the virtues of the race that, notwithstanding centuries of suffering and oppression, have clung with magnificent fidelity to their ancient high ideals, and the unwavering eyes ever turn with which the exile's eyes devoted to the land of their birth. Yet she was not blind to their shortcomings, but through all changes and chances and disappointments she believed they would ultimately work out their destiny. "Perimel and danger" she says, "may be in the way, but they accept and brave all consequences—" The pants beneath the furnace blast Not painlessly doth God re-cast Or mould anew a nation. By the new moulded Irish nation her same surely will never be forgotten, but it is sad to think that the great land that gave her birth hath not "caught her to its breast." Lady Wilde has added to the claims which Speranza has on our people, and her "Ancient Legends of Ireland," and her "Ancient Cures, Charms, and Usages, of Ireland" entitle her to the gratitude of all those who cherish the traditions and memories of the past. SAINT AND WITCH. (From Lady Wilde's Ancient Usages, Etc., of Ireland.) When Patrick came over to Ireland to convert the pagans no one would give him a lodging, for so the Druid priests had ordered a small ian, where he was allowed to came, the people not knowing him. And in the night he was thirsty and he asked for water; but the mistresses told him she had no water except at the well, and not one of her servants or people would venture to go there at such an hill, so he must just bear the thirst on him till the morning, for there was no use fighting the devil, and no one ever came back from the well if they tried to brave him. Then Patrick said he would go himself and fill the wondered greath it home. On this the woman wondered greatly, and asked what country he came from to be so brave, and no one dared to go near it in the dark night. The Saint, however, made answer that he feared no harm, for God and the angels would guard him to serve him a wooden and bade him take care how he lifted his eyes to look at the light set on the rock where the enchanter dwelt or he turned the down dazed and certainly fall down dazed and closed. But Patrick, nothing fearing, went forth; and when he came to the rock by the well he cast a strong spell over the place in the name of the trinity, and the magician trembled and trittered a loud cry and dropped down dead on his face and spoke no word. So Patrick was at peace to fill the vessel with the water. And it was a saying afterwards amongst the Irish if they were offended or suffered injury "The curse of St. Patrick for evermore!" Of the well be on your head for evermore!" Now the magician had a mother—a wicked witch called Chumana—and she roved her geance on Patrick, and she turned her sorceries on him, and she pursued her sorceries on Patrick, where she lived, and ascended the mountain down on h --- Page 14 --- Old Church at Dysart Gallen, Queen's County. The old ecclesiastical building here had been divided into nave and choir, an arrangement, in our opinion, peculiar to nearly all our Irish churches, built since the Anglo-Norman invasion. We do not mean to assert, however, that it did not form an earlier type of our church architecture. The choir is utterly ruined,24 only the foundations being discernible. These are about 20 feet in length by 14 in width. The nave walls are in much better preservation. These measure 40 feet in length by 20 feet in breadth. The walls are over 3 feet in thickness. A great part of the side walls is removed, but in two of them doorways may yet be traced. Two windows are also visible. The western gable is still very perfect, but it is terminated by a tottering belfry. A large window likewise pierced it. A gable-wall surmounted the beautifully jointed stone arch near the choir. The walls of this church seem to have been well cemented. They are built of grit and limestone materials.25 The writer is indebted for the following additional information regarding this locality. "When passing by that sequestered and romantic spot, where stood the remains of Dysart Gallen, you must have noticed the base26 on which stood a huge stone cross. Between it and the monastery below flows a stream, that in winter and freshet times assumes vast proportions.27 The district around is called Augh-na-cross, 'the field of the cross,' or Ath-na-cross, 'the ford of the cross.' This monastery was remarkable for its hospitality. It was like an eastern caravansary, in which the soiled and foot-sore wayfarer, as well as the religious brethren, found a home and a hospital. So at least runs the tradition."28 Two remarkable looking antique roads crossed near the old church, and at the ford or wooden temporary foot-bridge, thrown across the mountain stream. Evidently these were very ancient thoroughfares. They wound steeply up the sides of this romantic glen, and led in different directions. --- Page 15 --- Derrynahinch Old Church, County Kilkenny. Several trees now surround Derrynahinch ruins,31 the walls of which are richly draped with ivy. This church is said to have been dedicated to St. Martin.32 Here, too, a patron was held on his day.33 One of the finest stretches of land in Ireland may be viewed from this spot. 30 The site of Derrynahinch church and graveyard will be found on the "Ordnance Survey Townland Maps for the County of Kilkenny," on Sheet 32, between Derrynahinch House and grounds, and Kiltorcan House and grounds, beside an old roadway. 31 The accompanying engraving, by Mrs. Millard, is from a drawing, taken on the spot, by the writer, in March, 1873. Notes, descriptive of the ruins, he regrets having lost or mislaid; but, as recollection serves, within the ancient church, and under a ruinous east window, were the remains of an old stone-work altar. The view, in the illustration, represents a north or northwestern aspect. 32 Until of late years, his "patron" was observed there, on the 11th of November. Mr. Hogan identifies this with Marthorteach—which he thinks to be formed from Martheen-teach, i.e., "Martin's house." This also stood within the ancient plain of Magh Roighne. See Dr. O'Donovan's "Annals of the Four Masters," vol. i., n. (t), p. 494, at A.D. 859. 33 This was done, towards the close of the last century, in the churchyard of Derrynahinch. The patron was afterwards transferred to the chapel-yard of Ballyhale, where it continued to be kept on the Sunday next after the 11th of November, for many years. A grotesque-looking figure—possibly an ancient one—and carved as a bishop in pontificals, used to be carried in procession around the graveyard. This was intended to represent the patron saint. Archdeacon O'Shea, P.P., on completion of his new church at Ballyhale had it dedicated to the titular St. Martin. --- Page 16 --- Geo. Holmes, Det.2 Alkare, Sculp.3 Interior view of the Abby of Holy Cross, Country of Tipperary. Holy Cross abbey, four miles from Thurles and eight from Cashel, was founded in 1182 by Donald O'Brien, King of North Munster, for Cistercian monks. It owes its name to the possession of a supposed fragment of the Cross, presented by Pope Pascal to Murtagh, monarch of all Ireland, in the year 1110, and preserved in the abbey, till its dissolution. 'As a monastic ruin,' writes Dr. Petrie, the celebrated antiquarian, 'the abbey of Holy Cross ranks in popular esteem as one of the first, if not the very first, in Ireland.' --- Page 17 --- DEVENISH ISLAND—LOUGH ERNE --- Page 18 --- JERPOINT ABBEY. --- Page 19 --- The Castle of Limerick --- Page 20 --- Black Rock Castle near Corke. --- Page 21 --- DARRYNANE. --- Page 22 --- THE EAGLE'S NEST. "The approach to the Eagle's Nest," says Arthur Young, "is wonderfully fine; the river leads directly to its foot, and does not give the turn till immediately under, by which means the view is much more grand than it could otherwise be. It is nearly perpendicular, and rises in full majesty, with so bold an outline, and such projecting masses in its centre, that the magnificence of the object is complete. The immense height of the mountains of Killarney may be estimated by this rock from any distant place that commands it; it appears the lowest crag of a vast chain, and of no account, but on a closer approach, it is found to command a very different aspect." A thousand authorities have confirmed this report. The guide will show the best station for the musician, so essential to the echoes, also the point where he will be heard to the greatest advantage. About a mile from the Eagle's Nest is Old Weir Bridge, composed of two arches, confining the channel so as to render the passage after heavy rains of some danger; and make it safe for passengers to land. The boatmen having considerable experience, persons had better be advised by them. Indeed, the "shooting" of Old Weir Bridge is looked upon by all visitors as an excitement not to be dispensed with. The Meeting of the Waters takes place a short distance from this bridge. Here is also a divided channel, one leading to Glena Bay and the Lower Lake, and the other to the Middle Lake. It is a sequestered spot of extraordinary beauty. Sir Walter Scott, in company with Miss Edgworth, in 1826, was particularly struck with it. --- Page 23 --- "A MONK INSTRUCTING OTHERS IN THE ART OF ILLUMINATION." --- Page 24 --- At what period the abbey of Slane was first founded is unknown. We are informed by Archdall, that an abbey of Canons Regular was founded at a very early age, on a hill adjoining the town of Slane, and was remarkable for being many years the residence of Dagobert, King of Austrasia, who, in 653, at the age of seven years, was taken by Grimoald, mayor of the palace, and, by his direction, shorn a monk, rendered unfit to hold the reins of government, and banished into Ireland. He was received into this abbey, were he obtained an education proper for the enjoyment of a throne, and continued here during the space of twenty years, when he was recalled into France, and replaced in his government. The ruins of the abbey at present consist of a large chapel and a lofty tower at the west end; in the latter there is a handsome ramified window. It was frequently pillaged during the prevalence of the Ostman power in Ireland; but in the year 946 the Ostmen received a signal defeat in this town, in which their chieftain, Blacar, and sixteen hundred of his best troops fell. The English, with Mac Morrogh, King of Leinster, burnt and sacked the town, A.D. 1170. In the time of Hugo de Lacy, first Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, Slane was a considerable town, being one of the boroughs in his palatinate of Meath. THE ABBEY OF SLANE. able town, being one of the boroughs in his palatinate of Meath. Under the protection of the baronial family of Fleming this ancient abbey experienced a renovation of prosperity. By Sir Christopher Fleming, Lord of Slane, and Elizabeth Stuckle, his wife, it was refounded, in 1512, for friars of the third order of St. Francis. The buildings were then restored, on an extensive scale, and some fresh endowments made. After the dissolution, this priary was granted to James, Lord Slane, at the annual rent of one penny, Irish money. The remains of the buildings add an interesting feature to the picturesque charms of this neighbourhood. --- Page 25 --- The ancient building at Clonfert had been remodelled, at various periods, and it is now used for the Protestant episcopal parish church. It consisted of nave, chancel and transepts. The chancel, supposed to be the oldest part of the building, is 27\frac{1}{2} feet long, by 22 feet in breadth; while the nave measures 54 feet in length, and 27 feet 6 inches in breadth, clear of the walls. The south wall of the nave is about 14 or 15 feet high, and 2 feet 6 inches in thickness, while the chancel wall only measures 2 feet in depth. The gables are highly pitched, yet so covered with thick ivy, that there is no way of seeing what was the nature of the roof. The masonry of this building is in irregular courses of rough sandstone, laid in rough mortar, without ashlar work.52 The doorway of sandstone deserves a particular study.53 Two outer pilasters support a high pitched pediment: the doorway proper is deeply recessed, in six jamb-shafts and piers, on either side, surrounded by capitals. From these springs a beautiful columnar rounded arch, with a row of bosses, all varied in pattern. The most quaint and elaborate carving appears on all the stones of which it is composed; and, an amazing variety of ornament, showing a marvellous fertility of invention,54 is manifested in a work, which has hitherto so well stood the ravages of time. 52 See "Notes on Irish Architecture." By Edwin, third Earl of Dunraven, edited by Margaret Stokes, vol. ii., p. 106. 53 Two fine autotypes accompany the letter-press of the noble work, to which allusion has been made in the previous note. The accompanying illustration of the doorway has been copied therefrom by the writer, with kind permission of Miss Stokes. It has been drawn on the wood by William F. Wakeman, and engraved by George A. Hanlon. 54 In Richard Rolt Brash's "Ecclesiastical Architecture of Ireland," there is a minute and critical detailed description of the workmanship, at p. 42. Doorway of Clonfert Church, County Galway. --- Page 26 --- LOUGH CUTRA CASTLE - Seat of Right Hon'ble Viscount Gough. --- Page 27 --- KYLEMORE CASTLE — Seat of Mitchell Henry, Esq. --- Page 28 --- Entrance doorway of Temple M. Durmot, Christmasness --- Page 29 --- LOUGH FOYLE --- Page 30 --- New Bay, from Westport. --- Page 31 --- DUNLUCE CASTLE. Perhaps the most romantically situated and most picturesque ruins in the Three Kingdoms are those of Dunluce Castle, which are situate about three miles beyond Portrush. They stand on a mass of steep and jagged rocks, of which they seem almost to form a part, and are connected with the mainland by a single ridge of stone, which spans a deep chasm, and is only about a foot and a half broad. It was the stronghold of the M'Quillans, who, in the old days, were the Lords of Dunluce. The M'Quillans were driven from it by a Scotch adventurer, Roy M'Donnell, and he in turn was ousted from it by Sir John Perrot, the English Lord Deputy. Subsequently it was restored to the M'Donnells, who became Lords of Antrim and Dunluce. From the windows of the castle one locks down on the waves thundering at its base, and which in some places have scooped out deep hollows that seem to threaten the stability of the rocks on which it stands, and when the weather is wild the waves toss the foam up to its broken arches. There is many a wild legend associated with it, and it used to be believed that sometimes in a still night the tramp of armed warriors on its battlements could be heard, and sometimes the clash of arms and the shouts of battle. There is one little round chamber, the floor of which is always as clean as if it had been just swept, and this, we were told by an old guide whom we fell in with, is the result of the care bestowed on it by a certain Lady Rosa, dead and gone hundreds of years ago, and who nightly at midnight visits what was once her room. These ruins form a picture which impresses itself on the minds of every lover of the picturesque, never to be effaced, and would well repay the journey thither, even if there not so many other attractions within easy reach of it. J.C. McRae --- Page 32 --- AUGUST 14, 1897. The "Big Tree" of Chapelizod. TO THE EDITOR OF THE EVENING HERALD. Sir—There are few of your readers who will not be sorry to hear that the historic old elm, locally known as the "Big Tree," and which was supposed to be several hundred years old, fell on last Sunday, about five o'clock in the afternoon, and as if it were aware of the regard and veneration which the people of this time-honoured old village showed towards it, it stretched itself across the street to bid a last farewell to the townsfolk. Under its spreading branches the Chapelizod Brass Band always discoursed its music, and the children of the village were wont to divert themselves during the summer evenings. It stood sentry, frowning at the decay of the industries which once flourished in its immediate locality. It seemed to droop with sadness when a funeral passed for interment in the ancient churchyard hard by, and its leaves shivered when the bell of the village tolled for the dead. It sheltered the neighbouring "tap" from the scorching summer sun, made it famous for the superior excellence of the refreshments on sale in that establishment, and I have no doubt its worthy owner, Mrs Peat, will be the first to subscribe towards the planting of another elm in its place. Listen to Lefanu in his opening chapters of "The House by the Churchyard"—"One glance, however, before you go you will vouchsafe at the village tree—that stalwart elm. It has not grown an inch these hundred years; it does not look a day older than it did fifty years ago, I can tell you. There he stands the same; and yet a stranger in the place of his birth, in a new order of things, joyless, busy, transformed Chapelizod, listening, as it seems to me, always to the unchanged song and prattle of the river, with his reveries and affections far away among by-gone times and a buried race. Thou hast a story, too, to tell, thou slighted and solitary sage, if only the winds would steal it musically forth, like the secret of Mildas from the moaning reeds."—Yours, etc, TIMOTHY KELLY. --- Page 33 --- SOUTH WEST VIEW OF BALLYMOTE CASTLE, CO. SLIGO. Drawn by William Stokes Boyers, Cluid, Ballymote. Few assert, and many believe, that the greater portion of Ballymote Castle was razed to the ground by Cromwell's artillery during his historical peregrinations in this country. Then, as if for the sake of argument, we have others who state "that the solitude of Connaught was never disturbed by the thunder-like boom of his cannon." But no amount of argument can prove that the whole structure exists, for the ground plan of the razed portion is visible to the North side. Its interior is utilised as an orchard. Its lofty walls are well supplied with spiral staircases, composed of stone, which would afford an inquisitive intruder every opportunity of viewing the surrounding landscape of bog, mountain, and dell. --- Page 34 --- CASTLE FOGARTY, CO. TIPPERARY. Castle Fogarty, situated in the County of Tipperary, is one of the handsomest castellated houses in Ireland. It is the seat of the Milesian family of O'Fogarthy, ancient lords of the territory of Eliegarty, now the barony of that name. The family suffered much for its attachment to the House of Stuart. --- Page 35 --- KILDARE. --- Page 36 --- A Historic Irish Flag. The "Boston Pilot" says—The Hon James & Brady has in his law office in this city the Irish flag which was presented to the Irish Brigade before Marye's Heights, Va, in 1862. Mr. Parrick Donahoe, founder of "The Pilot," originated the idea of presenting the flag, and with other patriots contributed for its purchase. This flag was carried in eighteen battles, ever at the front. Around it thousands of brave men gathered wherever the shock of battle was heaviest; 1,956 men of Irish blood died while defending it. To-day its celebrations are as bright as when it was first unfurled on the uplands of Virginia. Col Brady told me last night that he is thinking seriously of placing the flag in the Capitol at Albany, N Y, where he enlisted in 1861. I told Colonel Brady that he would better place the grand old flag in the museum of the American Catholic Historical Society in Philadelphia. He said that the suggestion was satisfactory to him, and he would be glad to hear from the "vets" who read "The Pilot" regarding their views about the prepared place for the final disposition of the glorious standard of a nation whose sons never spare their blood in defence of liberty. An Irish gentleman who is in Congress says that if the flag goes to Philadelphia he will pay 1,000 dolls for a rich gilt steel and glass show case, made to descend into a safe for protection against fire. --- Page 37 --- MEETING OF THE WATERS. --- Page 38 --- View of the South-East and South-West sides of the interior of Ballymoon Castle, County of Carlow, with Mount Leinster in the distance. --- Page 39 --- SUNKEN MEMORIALS OF OLD DUBLIN. Section of a Map of Dublin of 1610. The curious discoveries made this week in excavating for the main drain on Ormond quay serve to suggest the remarkable alterations that have been made in those centuries in the shore line of the Liffey. Where once the tide ebbed and flowed over slimy mud-banks, solid quays, and roadways, bearing the traffic of a great city, now stand. The chief of these discoveries consisted of two boats buried beneath the roadway. The first of the boats was found about 20 feet below the surface of the road at Upper Ormond quay. Its width is about 15 feet, but its length is unknown, as the workmen who came across it cut off several pieces from the bow in order to clear the necessary space for the drainage works. Its depth is also unknown, as further excavations than the labourers are called upon to make would be necessary to free it from the soil. The craft is made of oak, and the timbers are nearly all fastened together by means of oak plugs, iron being very little employed. A quantity of coal and a 141b iron cannon ball were also found in the immediate neighbour- hood. Another boat of somewhat similar construction was found almost opposite the City Sheriff's office. At Winetavern street some tobacco pipes of very ancient date were also found. In order to give some idea of the changes that have taken place in the line of the Liffey in the past three centuries we reproduce a section of a map of Dublin drawn in the year 1610. Only one bridge then spanned the river; it stood near the site of the present Four Courts. There were practically no quays on the northern side of the river, which was then indeed almost without trade or population. Even on the south side large areas now covered by handsome streets had not a brick above a brick. "The Colledge," the Hospital, the Bridewell, and the Augustinian Church were the only buildings on the great space from the end of South Great George's street to Ringsond. Lagoons and creeks ate into the land on the north side, where great blocks of buildings a now stand in the vicinity of Capel street. It is at this point that one of the boats abovementioned was discovered. Pill lane, it will be seen, was one of our oldest landmarks in this direction; alas, that it should have disappeared. We trust that some record of the former name will be added to the tablet bearing its new denomination, Chancery street. Newman's Castle marked the eastern extremity. The city wall on the river front on the south side, at a point apparently not far from the southern end of what is now Grattan Bridge. It will be observed that the width of the river varied greatly at different points; a good deal of land had consequently to be "made" where the line of quays we now possess were constructed. The view of the river at the Four Courts, which hundred years after this map was drawn, Even at that comparatively recent time the southern river presented strange features in the shape of buildings washed by the Liffey's waves of which not a suggestion now remains. The View at the Law Courts a Hundred Years Ago. (From one of Malton's famous Dublin Views.) --- Page 40 --- Ancient Dublin houses, built two or three hundred years ago, present many essential differences to the modern and more substantial dwellings that house the people of the present day. The illustrations we publish represent two houses—one erected in the reign of Queen Elizabeth and the other in the reign of Queen Ann. The first of these stood formerly in Castle street, and was built of timber arranged in cage-work fashion. It was of a type that came very much into vogue at that period, and as a rule the houses had ornamental fronts and were covered with slates, shingle, or tiles. Houses of limestone or brick did not become common in Dublin for a long time afterwards, though Harris, in his "History of Dublin," states that in the reign of King James the inhabitants of Dublin began to use the materials mentioned for house building. It is asserted, however, that the first of this class of dwelling was not erected in Dublin until the time of Queen Anne. The picture we give represents one which is situated in Marrowbone lane. It is a characteristic and fantastic specimen of the architecture of the day, with its gabled terminations and its horizontal divisions of stones. ANCIENT DUBLIN HOUSES A HOUSE FORMERLY IN CASTLE STREET. A ONCE FAMOUS HOUSE IN MARROWBONE LANE. --- Page 41 --- THE LAST OF THE IRISH WITCHES. THE last, probably, of those notarious creatures, postically styled "The Weird Sisters," but popularly known as witches, shuffled off her mortal coil, or, in modern slang, "pegged out," some years ago, in this country. Her habitat, as zoologists say, was perfectly in keeping with her gloomy practices. It was in that vast mountainous region, partly in Southern Galway and partly in Southern Clare, where human habitations are few and far between, and where the perennial silence of solitude is broken only by the whistle of the curlew or the matutinal crow of the cock grouse. Here, in a wretched cabin, not far from the village of Feakle, dwelt the subject of this brief and inadequate sketch. Her name, "Biddy Early," as well as the nature of her "title, trade, or profession," were well known throughout Munster and Connaught, and probably throughout portions of the other provinces. Her witchcraft was devoted altogether to the cure of physical ailments, and for years she had been incompetition for honours with the medical gentlemen of the neighbourhood. Those who know anything of the Irish peasantry are aware that some years ago there was a strong disbelief in the efficacy of the medical profession as alleviators or curers of human physical suffering. That disbelief, unhappily, still exists, in a diminished degree, in many rural districts throughout Ireland. But at the time to which I refer, the witch or village quack was the successful competitor of the fully-qualified followers of Aesculapius. "Biddy Early" was facile princeps of these competitors. Notwithstanding she was anathematised by the Catholic clergy, many who, in their own persons, or in the person of relatives or friends, were suffering from physical ailments, despised the qualified medical man, and resorted to the witch at Feakle, but they did so secretly, often at dead of night or ere the sun had appeared above the mountain heights. Many were the cures which were effected, as they believed, though the mysterious potency of "Biddy Early." Unfortunately, how R. BURKE. --- Page 42 --- Kilmallock, County of Limerick. Kilmallock has been in a state of desolation and decay since the time of the usurper Cromwell, when it was dismantled and otherwise greatly injured by the parliamentary army. The recent return of population is fast hastening the devastations of time, and, excepting its ecclesiastical remains, in a few years it will have but little vestiges of its former splendour. Antiquarians as we are, however, we shall regret this change but little, if it bring industry, wealth, and peace, to a spot that has been for a long period the dreary abode of wretchedness and want. 30 JANUARY, 1897. THE BAALBEK OF IRELAND. Proposed Vandalism at Kilmallock. At the last meeting of the Council of the Royal Society of Antiquaries, it was proposed by Mr George Coffee, M R I A, seconded by Mr J J Digges La Touche, LL D, and passed unanimously—"That the Council of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland has heard with regret that a presentment has been passed by the Presentment Sessions for the Liberties of Kilmallock for the purpose of taking down the King's Castle at Kilmallock." The Council is surprised at the contemplated act of vandalism inasmuch as the preservation and protection of ancient and historic monuments is recognised as a matter of great public interest, and trust that now public attention has been directed to the subject the presentment will not be proceeded with. The Council would further suggest that steps be immediately taken to place this interesting monument in charge of the Board of Works for protection under the "Ancient Monuments Protection Act." --- Page 43 --- —SELSKAR ABBEY, COUNTY WEXFORD. HE remains of the once celebrated priory of St. Peter and St. Paul, usually styled Selskar, are situated near the west gate of Wexford. It was founded about the year 1190, by the Roches, lords of Fermoy, though it was not an original foundation, but like most of the ecclesiastical buildings in this county, a re-erection on the site of an old church dedicated to the apostles in question. The first treaty ever signed in Ireland with the English was on this spot, in the year 1169, when the town of Wexford surrendered to Dermod M'Murrough and his allies. This church, with six others, were demolished by order of Oliver Cromwell, when in possession of the town in 1649. The churches so destroyed were St. Patrick's, St. Mary's, St. Bride's, St. John's, St. Peter's and St. Maud's, commonly called Maudlin Town. Not satisfied with levelling these various places of worship, together with the plate belonging to the priory of Selskar, he took possession of a very fine peal of bells, which he shipped for Chester, but which, being of a superior description, were removed a few years afterwards to Liverpool. The engravings which precede convey a very correct idea of the ruins of the Abbey as they appeared some years since. The annexed cut represents a sepulchral flag in the ruins, which overed the remains of Richard Stafford, of Wexford, and Anstace, is wife. CODS CUFTELS OVRE V CODS MERCYE RICHARD A N --- Page 44 --- [ALTO file: no text lines] --- Page 45 --- Sketch of the Eastern Window of Dunbrody Abbey at Wexford 1840 DUNBRODY ABBEY. "the ruins that ennoble and the scenes that beautify our native land" the Abbey of Dunbrody, situated close to the meeting of the Suir, Nore, and Barrow, ranks with the most picturesque. It is situated on the left bank of the Suir, on the Wexford side, and a fine view of it is obtained by passengers up or down the river. It was founded by Hervey de Montmorency, Marshal of King Henry II, A.D. 1182, and dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. The ruins stand upon a gentle hill, which slopes down towards the water's edge. They measure two hundred feet in length, by one hundred and forty at the transepts. Some of the doisters still remain. The Abbots of Dunbrody were spiritual peers, who sat as Barons in the Irish Parliament down to the days of Alexander Devereux, appointed Bishop of Ferns 1539. He was the last Abbot of Dunbrody. --- Page 46 --- CARLOW. CARLOW is a very neat town, situated on the river Barrow, 39 miles from Dublin. It consists of one long street, crossed by another, not of equal length, and from these principal streets diverge several smaller, with many back lanes, &c. It returned two members to the Irish parliament, the patronage then being in the Burton family. It now returns but one to the imperial parliament. The cathedral is spacious and well-built, and the college is a noble edifice. There are some fine ruins of an abbey, and a castle situated on a small eminence over the river on the west side of the town. The angles were defended by round towers, and it commanded a most enchanting prospect of a rich and well wooded country, extending for some miles on each side of the Barrow. The river Barrow is navigable from this town to Ross, and also to Athy, where it forms a junction with the Grand Canal. "These improvements," say the Anthologia Hibernica of 1793, "have given a new face to the country, and a new and powerful spur to the industry of the people. Barren spots have been reclaimed, moors and bogs drained and improved, pretty cottages everywhere begin to appear and diversify the scene, and waving fields of yellow corn reward the husbandman's toil." There are in our days but few traces of this improved condition. 1180. The castle is said to have been erected here by De Lacy. Its foundation is by others attributed to Eva, the wife of Earl Stongbow. 1494. The Earl of Kildare was attainted for corresponding with O'Hanlon for extorting coyne and livery, and for seizing the Castle of Carlow in defiance of the royal authority. It was on the occasion of this attainder that the Fitz-Geralds' war-cry of Crom-a-Boo, with those of the Lords Ormond (Butler-a-Boo), Desmond (Shanet-a-Boo), and Clanrickard (Galriagh-a-Boo), were adjudged unlawful, and as a means of nourishing dissension between noble families, were wisely abolished. The Lord Deputy, Sir Edward Poynings, immediately after marched to Carlow, and besieged the castle, which after the resistance of a week was surrendered upon conditions. 1534. The castle was held for the celebrated "Silken Lord" Thomas Fitz-Gerald. 1642. The Irish having besieged Carlow, a detachment from the Marquis of Ormond's forces was sent to relieve it. This detachment was headed by Sir Patrick Wemyss, on whose approach the besiegers, 700 strong, burned the town and fled, but with the loss of 50 men, who were killed in the pursuit. Five hundred English were found in the castle, reduced almost to starvation. 1646. This was one of the castles which the confederated Catholics, sitting at Kilkenny, required should be garrisoned by them for the service of Charles and defence of the realm. 1686. The Earl of Clarendon thus writes to the Earl of Rochester: "I left Dublin on Monday morning, and lay that night at Carlow. All the way I went I was met by the sheriffs and sovereigns of the little towns I passed through, with all the respects due and usual. Carlow is a very pretty situated town; it belongs to the Earl of Thomond, who has an ruined castle there, pleasantly placed on the river side.— --- Page 47 --- PRIORY OF AGHMACART, QUEEN'S COUNTY. --- Page 48 --- A HISTORIC DUBLIN SUBURB. Drumcondra's Interesting Past In past times, Dorset street ended at the Bethesda Chapel. The remaining stretch of road to the canal bridge was spoken of as Dorset lane, and from this point forward, as Drumcondra lane. Why this was, it would be hard to say, as there is not a more striking highway in the whole country. So far back as 1634 this is noted by a traveller—"As dainty a fine way as ever I rid, and a most pleasant suburb." This suburb has changed both in appearance and population more quickly than any other district of the city. It does not need to be very old to remember Drumcondra a very untown-like and picturesque place, with its high footpath, divided by steep earthen walls from the low, wide driving-way, and when few, if any, terraces of houses were to be seen except that on the hill, which is thought to be one of the oldest, if not the very oldest, Dublin terraces still standing and dwelt in. But we must look back much farther than the reach of personal memory to see this district, what it certainly once was, the resort of a large number of fashionable, as well as the artistic and dramatic society of Dublin. Clonliffe road was then, and is still, very generally called Jones's road. It was so named on the famous of Frederick Theatre, manager of the crow street Jones, living there. His place was known as "Fortick's Grove," but he restored to it the older name of Clonliffe. This property, like much of the estate of Lord Mountjoy. For this seat Jones paid £1,000 with £15 4s. per acre, and here he lived in such splendour that his house became an establishment with not uncommon in Dublin. This house afterwards was taken by the Government for the Revenue Police. It is now a depot for the water services. It is used, as is well known, the Diocesan College of Holy Cross, and in this way has gone back strong to its very early uses; for we read that Mary's to the Cistercian Monks, as well as "the Grange of Clonliffe." Robert Owenson is another link between Drumcondra and the Crow street Theatre. He is now seldom called to mind except as the father of Lady Morgan. It is from her interesting memoirs we learn that her family were for some years living in this neighbourhood. Speaking of her mother, she says:—"My father took a pretty villa for her at Drumcondra, a lovely village, well known to the Stellas and Delaneys, the Monte Pincio of Dublin dramatists and artists of the day." Here Sydney Owenson spent the early years of a life which was marked by many vicissitudes. Her novels at one time gained great popularity, and are still not only readable, but are a good idea in the greater individuality of life in Ireland to the times. That her life was a pleasant one on the whole, we gather from this memoir, in which she says:—"The sum of my long experience in society what is good." Her father's love for, and proficiency in, his native music is much spoken of by her, and probably this memory, as well as her affectionate bequest for the Hogan family, suggested the request made in her will of £100 to be spent on a monument to Carolan, the celebrated Irish harper, the work to be pretty villa the "younger Hogan." To this extent the "younger Hogan" brought home a small ragged boy, whom he had found helping one of the scene-painters in Crow street Theatre. This was the extra- ordinary genius and child-scholar, Dermody. The boy who, as we are told on reliable authority, taught classes in a school until ten years of age, but whose in wild and unreal temper made him less all friends as surely as his brilliant talents attracted them. Owenson, "a gentleman conspicuous for his humanity, attainments and distinguished by his romantic affound the wild in a state of almost starvation, and with the generosity which seems a special characteristic of the dramatic profession, took him home where he kept him for a long time with his own family, until he was able, through interest, to get him to college." We are reminded by ones at Drumcondra's verses, that the tea-gardens of Drumcondra were then a well-known place of entertainment amongst the Dublin people:—"But ah! my dearest, let not gypsics lead Thy vagrant wand'ring to the rural mead. Let dire Drumcondra e'er unheeded lie, Though teapots, cups and saucers court the eye." In "Dermody's Life," by J. S. Raymond, published in the year 1806, it is stated in a note to this poem that Drumcondra was a kind of Vauxhall near Dublin. When you cross the Tolka bridge, on the left is a row of artisans' houses, but for the mechanic arts to give employment to the dwellers in them we must look elsewhere than in Drumcondra, though this was not always the case, as the name of this road implies. Here there stood at one time a flourishing woollen mill. This was swept away by an overflow of the river in the year 1834, but was rebuilt in two years. The flood of imported wares has certainly now brought about a greater continuance of wreckage than any natural deluge would have effected. In Lewis' Topographical Dictionary it is stated that at that time there was a brass foundry at Drumcondra. Where this stood I am unable to ascertain. And going back to eighty or ninety years before this date we read in "Mrs. Delaney's Letters:" "Just here, Bushe made me go with her to Drumcondra, half a mile, to see a new manufacturer that is set up there of prated linens done by copper plates; they are excessive pretty." A few steps beyond the bridge brings us to Belvidere, or, as it was sometime called, Primate's Hill, on account of it being at one time in the occupation of Lord Rokeby, the Protestant Primate of Ireland. Here lived Lord Chancellor Bowes, who, when he held a subordinate office, had made his reputation as an orator in a case in which a very well-known name in this district was cliefly concerned. This famous speech was the charge on behalf of the Crown at the trial of Lord Santry, in which a verdict of murder was brought in, and a sentence of death passed; through the interest of his connections it was afterwards committed to imprisonment for life. This fate he evaded by flight—it was said with the connivance of the authorities, as his uncle, Sir Compton Domville, threatened, if even the lesser sentence was carried, to cut off the water supply from the city. At that time the supply was drawn from the Dodder, a great part of which ran through the Domville estate at Templeoge. One of Lord Bowe's legal opinions—"The laws did not presume that a Papist had existence in the country," reads strangely when we consider to what use not only his own but nearly all the neighbouring houses are now put. On the right, near the Church, stands Drumcondra House, now All Hallowes Missionary College. This place in Irish affairs. It was originally the seat of the Coghill family. Sir John Gilbert in his history—that almost inexhaustible source of information in connection with Lord Dublin, says that on the death of Sir John Coghill, Master in Chancery, his son, Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, succeeded to the estates. He became afterwards Judge of the Prerogative Court, Chancellor of the Exchequer, and member for Trinity. "In his capacity of Judge of the Prerogative Court, Coghill was called to decide a question between a wife and her husband, who had given her a good beating- The Doctor delivered a grave opinion that moderate chastisament with a switch sushand's mathel in his hand was within the husband's heart in his hand was within the husband's matrimonial privileges. This decision so alarmed a young lady to whom he had paid his addresses with a prospect of success that she dismissed the assertor of so ungallant a doctrine. Coghill died unmarried in 1738." His property devolved on his niece, who married Lord Charlesville, and it was he built the present house, which now forms part of the College. The next tenant after Alderman Beresford was Sir Guy C --- Page 49 --- A HISTORY OF CLONLIFFE. Paper by Brother Dillon Cosgrave, B.A. A general meeting of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland was held last evening in the society's rooms, 6 St. Stephen's green. Mr. John R. Garstin, D.L., M.A., president, presided. Mr. Leonard R. Strangways, M.A., M.R.I.A., was elected a Fellow of the society, and several new members were elected. Brother Dillon Cosgrave, B.A., O.C.C., read a very interesting paper on "Clonliffe." He said that Dr. Joyce explained the name as meaning "meadow of herbs," but Cardinal Moran in his notes to Archdall's "Monasticon Hibernicum," referring to the ancient religious foundation here, interpreted it "plain of the Liffey." If the latter interpretation be correct, it was possible that the present district of Clonliffe, which was a good distance from the Liffey, was once much more extensive, and comprised much of the present northern portion of the city. The district was divided on the Ordnance Survey Map into three townlands—Clonliffe East, Clonliffe West, and Clonliffe South. Clonliffe South was situated altogether within the municipal boundary, even before the passing of the recent Act. It extended from the Royal Canal on the north to the North Circular road on the south, and from Lower Summer hill in the east to near the Harbour branch of the Royal Canal in the west. The Circular road dated from 1768, and Clonliffe South had for the most part been covered by houses and streets since, almost a century ago. If they examined the excellent map dated 1673 in Halliday's "Scandinavian Kingdom of Dublin," they should see that all the part of Dublin, from the Tolka even to the Liffey, appeared almost as a blank, and was altogether a rural district, the only roads marked being the highway to Swords and that to Clontarf. The latter thoroughfare was more inland than the present North Strand road, being, indeed, the road to Ballybough Bridge. It ran nevertheless close to the seashore at that time. Far out to sea lay the Island of Clontarf. The mainland was brought to within a short distance of it by reclamation from the sea about two hundred years ago. The island, which must have been conspicuous during the battle of Clontarf, was a place of isolation during the plague of 1650. It has disappeared completely under the sea within the last few years. The map of 1673 marked a single building, the "Redd House," on the Clontarf road; i road. The latter, like Whitworth place, adjoining, was called after the Whitworth Hospital, now called the Drumcondra Hospital, which was opened in 1818, the building having been begun in the Viceroyalty of Charles Earl Whitworth. Whitworth road was often popularly called the Bishop's road, from the Right Rev. the Hon Charles Lindsay, the last Protestant Bishop of Kildare, who died in 1846, whose property it adjoined. The neighbouring fields, called the Bishop's Fields, were the scene of a fatal duel in 1826, when Mr. John Bric, an able and popular young barrister, a native of Kerry, and an adherent of O'Connell in the agitation for Catholic Emancipation, was killed by Mr. William Hayes, of Cork, who died only a few years ago at a very advanced age. Clonliffe East extends from Drumcondra road to Ballybough Bridge, and lies generally between the Tolka and the Royal Canal, but there is a smaller townland between Jones's road and Ballybough road, bearing the singular name of Love's Charity. This, and the adjoining Love lane, now Sackville avenue, were called after a family of the surname of Love, who owned property here. A short distance from Ballybough Bridge is Philipsburgh avenue, which, perhaps, derived its name from Philipsburgh on the Rhine, where the Duke of Berwick was killed in 1734. It was called Ellis's lane on old maps and was the principal avenue of a suburb once inhabited by the older colony of Jews in Dublin. Some of the older houses of Ellis's lane have the entrance, not in front, but in the side, which is said to have been a Jewish custom. The present long, straight road called Clonliffe road is about a hundred years old. It was preceded by a more narrow and winding thoroughfare, called Fortick's lane. Clonliffe House and the demesne which is now attached to Holy Cross College were then called Fortick's Grove, and the name of the owner Tristram Fortick may still be seen in an inscription on an old almshouse at Little Denmark street in the city. It was Frederick Jones, popularly known as Brick Jones The paper, the reading of which was warmly applauded, was referred to the Council of the Society for publication. The President read a deeply interesting paper entitled "The Magrath Tomb in Lismore Cathedral." It was excellently illustrated by lantern slides, shown by Mr. Mason, Dame street. The paper was referred to the Council for publication. Some interesting exhibits having been shown, The proceedings terminated. --- Page 50 --- THE CROSS OF FINGLAS. In a dark corner of the Finglas Churchyard, and shaded by trees, is to be seen a stone cross with a most interesting and unique history. In the opinion of those competent to judge it is one of the ancient crosses erected long ago to mark the districts which from an early time of the Irish Church were subject to the jurisdiction of the bishops, and were known as crocæ or cross lands, Finglas being included in the jurisdictions of ten chorapiscopi, or rural bishops, not subordinated to any archbishop, the other lands including Swords, Lusk, Newcastle, Taney, Leixlip, Clondalkin, Tallaght, Ballymore, and Bray. (See Todd's "Life of St. Patrick.") In early times the Cross of Finglas had its location in the Watery Glen north of the village, and the two bironies of the North Dublin County—Upper Cross and Nethercross—were so named from their position. For centuries it attained a degree of veneration, but the march of the Cromwellians from Dublin to Drogheda, through the village, caused the breaking of the shaft of the memorial, and it lay prostrate. The villagers, to preserve it from further injury, buried the two fragments, and for more than two hundred and fifty years the Cross of Finglas remained underground, its hiding place being preserved, and handed down in the traditions of the people of the village. In the early years of the 19th century Dr. Walsh, the Vicar of the Parish, heard the story from an old parishioner, who had heard it related from his father, and on showing the place to which tradition pointed as the hiding place the cross was brought to light again after digging a few feet down. The fracture on the shaft being repaired by iron clamps, the cross, which is of granite—a stone not found within several miles—was re-erected, and, standing now with its pedestal about ten feet high, forms an interesting feature of the many antiquities to be found in the northern part of County Dublin. There was another old cross near, of which no traces remain, referred to by Austin Cooper, who saw it in 1779. W. MACARTHUR. --- Page 51 --- Temple Mac Duach, Aran Mor. In this church are windows of extreme antiquity, having lintels formed of two leaning stones.30 A beautiful semi-circular eastern window appears to be of more recent date. There is a stone, leaning against the east gable. It has a rudely cut opening, which seems to have been the head of a more ancient window.31 Near this church, there is a holy well, with several antiquarian remains.32 For an archæologist, the old edifice and its surrounding are interesting objects for study. 29 The accompanying engraving, drawn on the spot by William F. Wakeman, and afterwards transferred to the wood-block, has been executed by George A. Hanlon. It gives a faithful representation of this ruin. 30 In the year 1821, Dr. Petrie visited Aran, and left several interesting notes on it, some of which have been printed in Miss Stokes' work, as also in Dr. William Stokes' elegant biography, "The Life and Labours in Art and Archæology of George Petrie, LL.D., M.R.I.A.," chap. ii., pp. 48 to 64. 31 Near Tempul Mac Duach, Dr. Petrie tells us, that Mr. O'Flaherty, living on the Isle of Aran, discovered nine or ten sub- terranean cells of an oblong quadrangular form, connected with each other by a passage. Some stones, with apparently curious monumental inscriptions, were then turned up, nearer the church. 32 See Martin Haverty's "The Aran Isles; or, a Report of the Excursion of the Ethnological Section of the British Association from Dublin to the Western Islands of Aran, in September, 1857," p. 35. --- Page 52 --- Old Church at Tamlacht Finlagan. St. Columkille is said to have founded a religious establishment at a place near Lough Foyle, in the barony of Kenaught, county of Londonderry.12 The townland is called Tamlacht.13 Over the house thus established the great father of Irish monasticism placed his disciple, Finlog, as first abbot. Hence the place seems to have derived its appellation of Tamlachtfinlaghan.14 It is now a parish in the diocese of Derry.15 The place of the old monastic site is marked by a much frequented cemetery, within the enclosure of which are the ruins of an old church. Whether any portion of this building dates back to the time of St. Finlog may very fairly be questioned. The old church at Tamlacht was drawn by George V. Du Noyer, in 1836,16 and this sketch is faithfully produced in the accompanying engraving.17 12 According to one authority this happened A.D. 585. See Lewis' "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland," vol. ii., p. 592. No reference, however, is given for the date. 13 Tam-lechta, "plague-graves." The root-word is supposed to be tam-tabes, by Whitley Stokes, editor of "Sanas Chormaic," or "Cormac's Glossary," p. 160. In the same manner Tamlacht is explained by O'Flaherty when treating about Tallagh, near Dublin. See "Ogygia," pars. iii., cap. v., pp. 168, 169. To the foregoing opinions Dr. O'Donovan adheres, notwithstanding certain interpretations advanced by others. See "Letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the county Londonderry during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1834," pp. 122, 123. 14 See Archdall's "Monasticon Hibernicum," p. 93. Archdall incorrectly renders the denomination into English, as "the church of Finnlugan." Dr. P. W. Joyce more correctly declares the word Taimhleacht to mean "a plague monument," or a place when people who died of an epidemic had been buried. The word is said to be of Pagan origin, and considered as applicable by adoption only to Christian cemeteries, like other Pagan terms. In the northern counties it is generally written Tamlaght and Tamlat, while in other places it takes the forms, Tawlaght, Towlaght, and Towlett. See "Origin and History of Irish Names of Places," part ii., chap. iv., p. 151. 15 See Colgan's "Trias Thaumaturga," Quinta Appendix ad Acta S. Columbae, cap. ii., p. 495. 16 It was designed for illustration of the antiquities of the county of Londonderry, and intended for the engraver. It is preserved in the "Oblong Book of Sketches for Londonderry," in the Royal Irish Academy, vol. ii., No. 114. 17 By Mrs. Millard. --- Page 53 --- Old Church at Mungret. Mungret parish is situated partly within the Liberties of Limerick and partly in the barony of Pubblebrien. The River Shannon forms its northern boundary.2 Although it has been stated on the authority of the Psalter of Cashel, that Mungret had formerly within its walls six churches, and contained, exclusive of scholars, 1,600 religious,2 yet the ecclesiastical remains now left are very inconsiderable. There is an old church in the Irish style of the tenth century.10 This is situated immediately to the left of the road as you approach it from Limerick. On the inside this church measures 41 feet in length by 23 feet in breadth. Considering its age, the walls are in good preservation.11 The side walls are 2 feet 10 inches in thickness, and 14 feet in height; they are built with good stones, cemented with excellent lime and sand mortar. The west gable is remarkably high and sharp at the point, while the east one is rendered obtuse after the storms of ages. As is usually the case in old Irish churches, the door-way opens in the west gable. It is 6 feet 8 inches in height, while it is 3 feet 7 inches wide at the bottom, and it diminishes to 3 feet 4 inches at the top.12 A large breach in the south wall extends from the ground to the top of a round-headed window, which, excepting its top, has altogether disappeared. The east gable contains a rude round-headed window, placed at some height from the ground. On the inside it measures about 5 feet 10 inches in height, and 2 feet 8 inches in width: on the outside it is about 3 feet 10 inches in height, and 1 foot 6 inches in width.13 The north wall is in very good preservation, but featureless: the south wall is a good deal injured, and besides the window already alluded to, it contained another, now reduced to a formless breach.14 According to tradition, little Kilrush15 is said to have been built by Rose, a sister of St. Munchin. Again, the Church of Killeely, in a parish of the same name, was dedicated to St. Lelia, also thought to have been a sister to St. Munchin.16 It adjoins Mungret parish. When the death of St. Munchin happened has not been ascertained with any degree of correctness. We are carelessly told, indeed, that St. Munchin, the first Bishop of Limerick, died in the year 652.17 No authority whatever is cited for such a statement. It is not considered probable, by Dr. Lanigan, that the patron saint of Limerick, St. Munchin, or St. Manchin, had been a bishop over that sec.18 It has been remarked,19 likewise, that we can find nothing related respecting the successors of St. Munchin in the see of Limerick, before the times of those Pagan Ostmen who held Limerick by force of arms, as they did other cities.20 We labour under like defects and disadvantages in reference to the early origin of many among our most celebrated towns and cities. 2 In the "Annals of the Four Masters," the name of this parish is Mungariut. Dr. O'Donovan confesses himself unable to resolve its etymology. 9 See Gough's "Camden's Britannia," vol. iii., p. 519. 10 So states Dr. O'Donovan, who describes this parish. See "Letters containing Information relative to the Antiquities of the county of Limerick, collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1840," vol. i., pp. 33, 34. 11 The accompanying engraving of this old church, by Mrs. Millard, Dublin, is after a drawing by William F. Wakeman in 1840, and now preserved among the Irish Ordnance Survey Records, R.I.A. 12 It is built of Cyclopean masonry, and Dr. O'Donovan supplies a rough drawing of it. 13 Dr. O'Donovan gives a sketch of this window. 14 An account of the more modern abbey church and some other ecclesiastical ruins in this parish follows the foregoing, with the "History of Mungret." See ibid., pp. 35 to 57. Among the Ordnance Survey Sketches preserved in the R.I.A., there is a pencil sketch of this abbey by William F. Wakeman, and taken in 1840. 15 This ancient church is said to resemble, in various particulars, that of Mungret. The residence of Lord Inchiquin, adjoins it. 16 Lenihan's "Limerick, its History and Antiquities," chap. liv., pp. 542, 543. 17 See Ferrar's "History of Limerick," part i., chap. i., p. 4. 18 See "Ecclesiastical History of Ireland," vol. ii., chap. xi., §iv., n. 53, p. 63. 19 In "Harris' Ware," vol. i., Bishops of Limerick, p. 503. 20 "But in the tenth century they were converted to the Christian religion. However I hardly find any bishop in this see before Gille or Gillebert, who begins to govern it about the beginning of the twelfth century." See ibid. --- Page 54 --- W.F. WAKEMAN Abbey of Ferns, County of Wexford. There had been a religious establishment and a See at Ferns, in the county of Wexford, from an early period. Even still, there are some interesting ruins to be found.6 6 The accompanying illustration of Ferns abbey, in its present ruined state, was drawn on the spot, by William F. Wakeman, and by him transferred to the wood, engraved by Mrs. Millard.