--- Page 1 --- History of St. Joseph's, Roseburg By REY. B. CLERY, O. M. CAP. Father Croke, who needs not the reflected glory of his better known brother to find a niche in the temple of fame, was the first priest, as far as is known, to visit the Umpqua valley. Leaving Oregon City August 1 on horseback in the year 1853 he proceeded as far south as Jacksonville, no doubt administering the sacraments and preaching the Word of God as he went on his way. On his return journey it is mentioned in the records here, that he baptized an old lady, Mrs. O'Kelly. He reached Oregon City November 1 in the same year. Father Croke again visited the Umpqua valley in 1854. This time he came better prepared. He left Oregon City on August 14 in a two-wheeled buggy drawn by a fine black horse for which he paid $200.00. On September 5 he reached Canyonville, and proceeded to Jacksonville. On his return he visited Crescent City, Port Orford, Coos Bay, Umpqua City, Eugene City, Marysville (Corvallis) and Albany. "Having been absent four months, and having endured many hardships, and been exposed to many dangers." The fruits of this journey are not mentioned here. No doubt the book of Life. Silence, like an Oregon mist, enshrouds the next four years. There is no mention of missionary activities again until the year 1858. On September 28 of that year, Archbishop F. N. Blanchet left Oregon City in a four-wheel buggy drawn by two horses, to visit the southern part of the archdiocese. John Murphy was the driver. For his time and labor he took not a penny. They left Salem October 5, arrived at Roseburg the 8th, Canyonville the 10th, and Jacksonville the 13th. On the 19th Father Croke arrived from San Francisco to give a report of his own journey, and of the work done during the year. Of the archbishop's journey it is recorded, that the horses twice took fright, the buggy was overturned, the archbishop was thrown to the ground, but escaped without serious injury. Gentle reader, blame not the horses, more intelligent beings than they, would take fright at Canyonville in those days, but rather, breathe a prayer for old John Murphy. They don't make 'em anymore. The following is found on page nine of the church register in the handwriting of Archbishop Blanchet. "This book containing 320 pages is the register especially intended for the mission of St. Stephen the Martyr, at Roseburg, Douglas county, state of Oregon, and the other stations of the valley of Umpqua including also the seaboard. In the register shall be entered first, all the acts of baptisms, marriages, sepultures, abjurations, professions of faith, 2nd the blessing of the church, of the graveyard, of bells, 3rd the names of the persons confirmed, the chronicle of remarkable events in the mission." "The baptisms and marriages made in the Valley of Umpqua from 1853 to 1867 by the Rev. Fathers Croke, Poulin, Nala, Vandergreen, Thibau, they have carried with them, and inserted in the registers of the places where they were appointed missionaries afterwards; that is the reason why they are not to be found here in this register." "This book was bought at Mrs. McCormicks and paid $2.50 for the mission of Roseburg. Made and signed, Portland, Oregon, April 22, 1868. FR. N. BLANCHET, Archbishop of O. C." Early Converts. Father Thibau visited the Catholics in the Umpqua valley in 1867. Archbishop Blanchet came to Roseburg towards the fall of this year. He received into the Church several persons of distinction among whom are mentioned, General Joseph Lane, his son, Laf. Lane, Mr. Bowman, Mrs. Champagne, Mrs. Archambault. The first mission ever preached in Roseburg was conducted by Father Bouchard, S. J., assisted by Father Glorieux. It was a veritable success, if the chronicler may be believed, "Les lectures furent bien goutees par les peuples qui y assistaient en grand nombre chaque soir." [The lectures were much enjoyed by the people who attended in large numbers each evening.] Archbishop Blanchet again visited Roseburg in 1868 just before his departure for Rome. He was 73 years of age. He baptized two children of the French settlement. It was his last visit to the Umpqua valley. In 1863 Aaron Rose, from whom Roseburg gets its name, deeded block 26 for Catholic Church purposes. The first building on this property was an old Masonic temple in which Father Glorieux said Mass for years. It stood on the corner of Douglas and Kane streets. The first Catholic church built in Roseburg dates back to 1879 or 1880. It was erected during the pastorate of Fr. Wensierski. It stood where the present church stands today, and is still in service as the parochial hall. From the year 1886 the parish has been known as St. Joseph's. The rectory was built during the pastorate of Father W. A. Waitt. In 1912 Archbishop Christie gave Roseburg and its missions in charge of the Franciscan Capuchin order, Irish province. Rumor has it that when a certain pious Brother in Ireland heard about Douglas county being placed in charge of the Friars, he rolled his eyes and had visions—a (Continued on Page 7.)